Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

Mind and Body

Tammy's comment about watching T.V. and eating mindlessly reminded me of myself, of course! I absolutely do eat more and think less about what I'm eating while staring at the T.V. Could it be that my attention is so focused on T.V. that I can't see the tempation escape routes God is providing?

The connection with mind and body is interesting, so I decided to search on BibleGateway on both the words "mind" and "body" and see what Bible verses I might find. (The link to BibleGateway is in the left column of this blogsite's home page.)

I found a passage in Romans about struggling with sin. Romans 7:21-24 (NIV)

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin."

This tells us about the relationship between our mind and body, how we struggle with wanting one thing in our minds but our bodies want something else. To me, this emphasizes the importance of our minds. This is where we hold our love for God and His law. Keeping our thoughts on His law and how perfect it is, can help us in the struggle with any sin or tempation, because we know God's way is the best way. His way is perfect. Remaining focused on God's perfect diet and plan for our health can help us toward our goal to keep our bodies in good health to serve Him better, too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?