Friday, January 20, 2006

 

Time is Short

I appreciate Tammy reminding us in her Jan. 19 post how fast time is flying. She reminds us that before we know it, we will have formed the habit of eating well and we will no longer feel deprived. We won't even remember feeling deprived!

I spent yesterday focusing on feeling joy in the moment. Remember, we can feel joy because we're on the right track. We don't have to wait until we've reached our goal to feel joy. We're somewhere in the middle, but we can feel joy because we know we're heading to the right goal. This applies to our projects, our daily tasks, our healthy lifestyle and weight-loss goals. But even more importantly, we can feel joy because we are on our way to heaven.

Jesus is coming soon to give us the prize--a prize we all get to win. If you think about how fast the first 19 days in January have gone by, just think about how fast the rest of our lives will go by and how soon we'll see Jesus coming to take us all to heaven.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (New King James Vesion) compares our lives to a race.
"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

In this race, we are running for a crown that will last forever, and we are reminded to be temperate in all things, to be disciplined so that we won't become disqualified. The best news about this race is that it is short. Remember how fast time is flying. Jesus is coming soon.

Comments:
Hey Karen,

I was thinking that when you were talking about taking joy in everyday moments, we really need to take joy in our accomplishments, too, even if we're not perfect (yet). It's hard for me to look at how far I have to go and be satisfied with how little I've done (as far as weight loss). However, I've made some positive changes in the last six months. Since August I've been walking or doing some kind of exercise every day for 30 minutes. I've only missed one or two days in some months - other months I haven't missed one day. I didn't know I would be able to do that. I also have not had any caffeine since December 30th. I didn't know I would be able to go 20 days with no diet coke! But do you know what I focus on instead of those accomplishments? The 100 lbs. I have to lose and how they're not coming off! Your post reminds me to take joy in the little things.

Also, if we use the metaphor of a race in healthy eating - if a person running a race falls down and doesn't get back up, she has NO CHANCE of completing the race. However, if she gets back up she can be right back in the race. When we have our setbacks and eat too much or eat something we didn't want to, we can get right back up and get right back in the race. It doesn't matter how many times we fall down as long as we get back up. And how wonderful that we have a Savior holding out His hand to help us back up!
 
Sandra,
Amen!!!
Karen
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?