Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

Bread of Life

Isn't it interesting that Jesus compared our physical hunger with the emotional longings in our hearts? Whether we have cravings or actual physical hunger pangs, sometimes we humans feel such a strong desire for food that we can hardly think of anything else. It's difficult for me to concentrate on my work or think about anything other than food when my stomach is growling.

Jesus knows how strong hunger for food can be, but He also knows that there is something we need much more than food. The day after Jesus performed the miracle of feeding 5,000 people with five barley loaves and two fish, people sought Jesus. In John 6, Jesus told them that they were seeking him because they had eaten their fill of the loaves of bread. He then compared Himself to bread, saying that He is the bread of life.

"Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give to you; for on him has God the Father set his seal" John 6:27 (Revised Standard Version)

They reminded Jesus that their forefathers had eaten manna in the wilderness, saying that God had given them bread from heaven to eat. To this Jesus replied "...my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven, and gives life to the world." John 6:33 When the people asked Jesus to give them that special bread, always, Jesus replied "I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst." John 6:35

We need to go to Jesus and believe in him to have the life which God gives to the world. When we're with Jeus, He will satisfy our longing.

We are complete in Him. Colossians 2:10

Comments:
Hi Karen,
Just thought I'd share what I read in my Jorge Cruise book about emotional eating. He says that a key step is to identify the emotion that triggers your eating and then identify the OPPOSITE emotion. For instance, "if stress is your trigger to eat...then peacefulness is what you have really been craving in your life. Bottom line: eating food has given you peace."
I thought that was really interesting. There are other triggers that he mentions of course, but I chose stress because that's the one I'm dealing with. Then this morning I read in Ephesians 2:14 "For He Himself is our peace.." When I need peace from the stresses of the day I can go to God and get His lasting peace and not to food, which lets me down when I want peace. The peace of food doesn't last...
Just my thoughts for the day!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?