Sunday, February 12, 2006

 

Just Say "No" Because of God's Grace

When I'm craving something sweet, sometimes I eat in a ridiculous manner. Since I've purposed in my heart to avoid junk food, I start brainstorming all the healthy food that might fill the same purpose as the funk food. A raisin bagel with cream cheese, a small bag of fruit & nut mix, grapes, pop-corn, and another bagel because the first one was so good. Soon, I've eaten way too much food, my belly feels uncomfortably full, and the nagging craving is still there. The problem is so easy to see. This craving can't be solved with food. Over-eating of any type of food, even if it's good healthy food, overtaxes my body's system, and it does not take the craving away. Since I've experienced this scenario many times throughout my life, it seems like I would figure out that this pattern of eating is senseless. It does not fill the craving, and it makes my jeans tight again.

When this craving sneaks up on me, ultimately, I need to remember the reason to say "No." Paul describes the responsibility we have in our Christian lives in the book of Titus. Have you ever wondered about the role of Christian stewardship and how it relates to God's grace? We are saved by faith in Jesus, so what is the point in being a good steward (in all respects of stewardship, such as money, talents, time, and health)? Paul provides an explanation in Titus.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hopeā€”the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." Titus 2:11-14 (NIV)

According to Paul, God's grace teaches us to say "No" and to be self-controlled while we're living here on earth waiting for Jesus' glorious return. Jesus died for us, not so that we could continue living in sin, but to save us from sin so that we don't have to be enslaved by it. Jesus gave His life for us so that He could purify us. Responding to His amazing grace with love, we should allow Him to purify us with eagnerness to do good, and as Christian stewards, take care of all that He has given us (money, time, talents, health) for His glory.

So, the next time I'm tempted to respond to a craving by filling it with way too much non-funk-food, I need to remember that God's grace is the answer. I need to reflect on His grace, because it is God's grace that teaches us to just say "No." My response to His grace should be love, and my eagerness to take care of my body for Him should overshadow any craving that sneaks up on me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?