Sunday, February 05, 2006

 

"My food," said Jesus...

After Jesus had provided the woman at the well water to drink, His disciples rejoined him. Concerned that Jesus must be hungry, they urged him to get something to eat. Jesus encouraged them not to worry, telling them "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." John 4:32 (NIV)

The disciples were confused and asked each other if someone had brought food to Jesus. What secret food was Jesus talking about?

I love the reply Jesus gave them. This is a wonderful sword (Word of God) to use as part of the armor of God against Satan.

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work." John 4:34 (NIV)

Isn't that awesome? I like to say this with the heavy emphasis on the word food, as in "my FOOD is..." The next time Satan tempts we with some enticing treat, which I predict happening in the next hour as the Super Bowl starts, I am just going to use the response Jesus gave to his disciples. I will tell Satan "My FOOD is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work," which of course is immensely more satisfying than Jalapeno Poppers!

PS: Thank you Shara, Sandra, and Gracie for your encouraging comments to me over this weekend. Thank you Tammy for all of your comments, too. I was praying this weekend that God would send me some indication that I'm not alone in this struggle, and there you were - all three of you. I'm thankful for you and will keep praying for you. Gracie, Saturday night I listened online to the sermon you recommended, and I loved it. Just when I was feeling alone, I was reminded of that song I, too, used to sing as a child "Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?