Tuesday, March 21, 2006

 

Prayer Alarm

Since we need prayer to activate the power of God in our lives, I've been thinking it would be really great to have a prayer alarm. Too often, I reach the end of the day and look back and see right where I should have prayed in order to avoid pitfalls but didn't. How can it be that I know the importance of prayer, but when I'm in the middle of my day focusing on whatever it is I'm focusing on, I don't stop to pray?

Wouldn't it be great if there were a new invention, a buzzer that would go off whenever prayer is needed immediately? I wonder if I would tune out the buzzer, too. How can I remember to pray? I have asked God to help me remember to pray. I am sure He is doing His part, and I'm sure I'm not listening somehow. The key must be to simply slow down my life, slow down so I have time to listen.

Since we don't have prayer alarms, Isaiah 55:2-6 reminds us to simply stop, to listen to the Lord, to call on Him, for He is always near. If I am so busy that I haven' taken the time to acknowledge His presence, I need to stop and listen.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.

4 See, I have made him a witness to the peoples,
a leader and commander of the peoples.

5 Surely you will summon nations you know not,
and nations that do not know you will hasten to you,
because of the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel,
for he has endowed you with splendor."

6 Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?