Tuesday, April 25, 2006

 

Each Day

HI everyone - last week my family went on a spring skiing vacation, but I'm back this week! Tammy, thank you so much for your posts. It's so helpful to know I'm not alone.

Trying to be practical, I've been practicing my battle plans. Here is something that I've learned. A battle plan works for one day, but not the second day. When I chart a plan of action for a day, put on the armor of God, and pray for that day, God's power is sufficient for that day. But if I think the battle plan and prayer of yesterday will sustain me through today, I better think again. It hasn't worked for me.

This reminds me of the children of Israel. Maybe they tried to gather twice as much manna as needed to see if it would last for more than one day. Guess what? It didn't work with manna either.

"Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions." Exodus 16:4 NIV

Isn't it interesting to note that the Lord provided enough manna to last for one day and one day only for the Children of Israel? He didn't give them enough for each week, or even enough for 2 days at a time. Each day, they gathered the bread from heaven. In the same way, if I don't take time to put on the armor each day, I find myself working my way through life and fighting my battles without God's armor. I'm on my own, and I don't like it. Not only do I feel lonely (I miss my prayer time), I'm doomed to failure.

If the Children of Israel tried to gather enough manna for two days, the manna went bad and didn't last the 2nd day. Just like left over manna, left over armor and left over prayers aren't going to sustain us through the day. Did you know the manna was full of maggots and smelly the 2nd day? I really don't need to think about my 2nd-day armor being smelly, but if that's the image I need to get me to put on fresh, clean, and effective armor with new prayers every day, then that's what it takes.

It's important to remember that just as God provided manna each day, he provides the strength we need each day if we take the time to gather His armor and put it on daily.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?