Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

Plan of Action - Drink Water in Car/Pray!

I love to read about the Full Armor of God and get inspired by scripture that encourages me to remain faithful. Be strong and courageous. Be victorious in God's power. It has come to my attention though (through an inspiring writer EG White) that sometimes we need to be more practical than philosophical. We need to follow in Jesus' footsteps one day at time. We need to overcome the tempter with practical action, step by step, each day.

I believe God is really speaking to me about this, because it's time for me to put my faith in action.

To me, this means developing a battle plan for each day. It could be a unique plan for each unique day, because each day has its own challenges. What worked today might not work tomorrow. For example, yesterday exhausted and hungry, I headed to the gas station to fill up the gas containers for our lawn mower. I drove my husband's SUV because hauling those containers makes the vehicle stink, and he offered to have his car get smelly instead of mine. As I was loading up the empty containers into his car, I noticed a can. It was a can of Pringles. Chili cheese Pringles. I had just finished an apple, but I was still hungry. I hadn't had a good lunch, and there they were. So, I opened the can. A few Pringles would hit the spot, right? I closed the back hutch and took the can with me to the front seat. A few more would reallly hit the spot. Guess what? By the time I drove into the gas station, I had devoured half of the Pringles. Do you know how many calories there are in half a can of Pringles - Chile Cheese Pringles? I calculated it then and put it out of my memory, but I think was about 1,000! This is the kind of behavior that sneaks up on me way too often.

So...this morning, I created a battle plan for the day. I decided today any time I went anywhere in the car, I would always take a big glass of ice water (sometimes I squeeze in some lemon - it is awesome). If my tummy is full of water, I'm less apt to fill it with anything else. Plus, when I'm tired and just beat, sometimes I think I need a bite to eat to perk me up. But you know what? Water does that just as well, or better! Water invigorates me.

So I've identified the car as my weakness. I don't watch TV so much anymore, so getting the munchies in front of TV isn't such a problem, but I drive quite a bit, and I need to stop the habit of grabbing food on the road.

So here's my plan to keep this from happening tomorrow:

Step 1: Whenever I'm getting into the car, grab water and drink it.
Step 2: Whenever I'm drinking water, pray for God's spirit and the will to follow His will.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?