Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Philippians 4:12

Once again, I fell for a lie. This was a new lie.

Before I admit the lie I fell for, let me tell you how amazed I am that through God's power, I have been able to remain dessert-free. This year I have passed up cookies, do-nuts, cake, ice cream, etc. I am almost to the point where I don't even consider the temptation for these sweet treats (the same as I never consider eating meat). However, in the grocery store (and this is what happens when I go grocery shopping without praying for God's wisdom and spirit to help me choose only healthy foods - this is what happens when I think I'm strong enough on my own now) a thought occurred to me: "You know, they make those ice cream treats sugar free. There really is no reason to continue denying myself a sweet treat when I can buy the version with Splenda!"

Of course, I immediately agreed with the thought and found myself Breyer's version of Splenda-sweetened ice cream bars. I thought it was a splendid idea. (Get it? Splenda?) But I should have recognized the trap. It was a lie. I gorged on those ice cream bars the same as I would have on the real sugar variety and ended up eating way too many calories and feeling downright blah.

Here is the real lie: You're missing out on something. Don't you feel that craving? You need something sweet to fill that craving?

Here is the truth: I am content. I am practicing being content in all things. I am content with the good-tasting, healthy, life building food that God has given me. When I make good healthy choices, I'm not missing out on anything except for the poor health that comes from the wrong lifestyle choices.

Paul practiced being content, and we should, too.

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:12 (NIV)

If we remain content with the wonderful food God has provided for our good health, we won't fall for the "You're missing out on something" lie.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?