Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

This is the Way

How wonderful it is to listen for God's voice and follow His guidance. When we ask for His wisdom, He will answer. If we ask God to show us habits we need to change to maintain better health, He will show us. The question is, what will we do when we hear His voice?

Isiah reminds us if we listen for God's voice, He will guide us and encourage us: "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

When God reveals lifestyle habits I need to change, I want to follow His guidance. It's not always easy. But I know I can do anything with Jesus according to His will. (Philippians 4:13) Since God has helped me overcome an obsession with sugary treats this year, I've been wondering what my next battle will be. It became very clear to me this past week while I was researching some information for a health presentation. I listed out 7 factors proven to impact health and longevity, and for the audience, I underlined those items that I personally work on (the other areas are not an issue for me):

7 Health Factors Proven to Impact Health and Longevity:
Sleep 7 to 8 hours
No eating between meals
Eat breakfast regularly
Maintain proper weight
Exercise Regularly
Moderate or no use of alcohol
No smoking

Then I heard God's voice loud and clear. "No eating between meals"

I immediately responded "Wow, God, I'm not sure I can do that. I think that would be harder than giving up sugar."

Without a second's delay, God reminded me "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you."

"Yes, I know, but I may not be strong enough on this point?"

Again from God, "I said all things"

Now I know it's important not to ignore the voice of God. So I set a goal to stop eating between meals for the month of July, and decided to start practicing these last few days in June.

The next day, I found this Bible verse in Isaiah and realized that God was showing me a step I need to take. "No eating between meals" is the bullet item I underlined and emphasized myself, and God pointed this out as an area I could work on - this is the way, walk in it."

God has revealed this to me. For me, this is the way He is directing me, so I need to walk in it. If I pray and rely on His strength, of course, I can do this.

I believe God directs each of us in the areas we are ready to tackle. I pray that you will listen for His voice and see where He is leading you. I pray that when we hear His voice, we will always follow it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?