Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Thy Will Be Done

I had the funniest question pop into my mind after reading my previous blog entry where I stated "I only want to lose 10 pounds." I wondered: Does God want me to lose 10 pounds? Or is it just me who wants this? Is it His will, or is it mine?

Of course, I believe God wants us to maintain our health so we can serve Him better. But when I ask myself this very specific question, I start feeling a little perplexed. I have always thought of this in terms of "I want" not "God wants" and it feels a little uncomfortable for me to tell myself that God wants me to lose 10 pounds.

It takes me right back to the question: Am I doing it for Him, or am I doing it for me? I want to keep my motives pure and remove vanity from my heart, but I think it keeps sneaking back in. If God wants me to lose 10 pounds, then when I pray for His strength and pray "thy will be done," if I submit to His will, then I will be successful.


Here is a passage I plan to ponder more this week from Job 22 (especially Job 22:27 - what a powerful verse!):

21 "Submit to God and be at peace with him;
in this way prosperity will come to you.

22 Accept instruction from his mouth
and lay up his words in your heart.

23 If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored:
If you remove wickedness far from your tent

24 and assign your nuggets to the dust,
your gold of Ophir to the rocks in the ravines,

25 then the Almighty will be your gold,
the choicest silver for you.

26 Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty
and will lift up your face to God.

27 You will pray to him, and he will hear you,
and you will fulfill your vows.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?