Monday, July 17, 2006

 

Set Your Mind Fully

The wind blowing into my face creating resistance isn't exactly helping as I pedal up a 1/2-mile hill. I tell myself I can do it. Keep riding. Breathe in. Pedal, pedal. Breath out. Pedal, pedal. My water bottle is almost empty with only about 8 oz. of water left. I've been riding for over an hour. It's 90 degrees even though I started early to beat the heat. But I'm not discouraged.

Instead, I'm encouraged. Breath in. Pedal, pedal. Breath out. Pedal, pedal. I'm encouraged because I know when I reach the top of this hill, it's time to turn around. I'm thinking about how great it will be when I turn around and start cruising down this hill with ease. I'm thinking about the joy of the downhill ride. I'll finish off my water, and I'll have only 2 miles left of mostly downhill and flat road taking me home to air conditioning.

In life, perfecting Christian character involves climbing steep hills, too. Peter reminds us to be holy in 1 Peter 1. Being holy, following all of God's laws and walking in the path that Jesus took, is not always easy. The wind blows against us. We struggle. We even fail. But we must keep pedaling and moving forward with Jesus. When the hill gets steep, Peter reminds us not to think about our failures but to keep looking toward the future.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1:13 (NIV)

When life gets difficult, what do you do? Are you prepared for action? Have you put on the Armor of God so you will have self control? It's important not to let mistakes from the past discourage you or slow you down in your Christian walk. Instead, think about how great it will be to experience the grace you will receive when Jesus comes again. Think about the joy of heaven. Heaven will be even better than cruising down the last big hill on your biking course.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?