Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 

Encouragement from Peter and James

Last week I was lamenting the fact that the annoying temptation for junk food will never go away. I am tired of Satan's most subtle onslaught against healthy lifestyles. We’ve grown up in a culture and are surrounded by overwhelming messages that compel us to follow eating habits that destroy our health. To maintain health, we really have to struggle against the current. It’s like swimming against a swift current. So many other swimmers are swimming the other way, laughing and having a great time and looking at me funny because they can’t understand why I would work so hard to swim the other direction. I had come to the conclusion that I would have a lifetime of swimming against the current. I’ve prayed over and over that God would take away the temptation to overindulge, and while I know he is there to help us through temptation, I don’t think He will completely take the temptation away. We have to learn to live with sin and temptation in this world. One of the greatest things about heaven will be the absence of that annoying temptation!

Of course, I'm looking forward to heaven. However, today, I found encouragement in 1 Peter for enduring trials even before we get to heaven. If we allow our bodies to suffer through the temptation, sin loses its power.

1 Peter 4:1,2 Living New Testament Paraphrased
"Since Christ suffered and underwent pain, you must have the same attitude he did; you must be ready to suffer, too. For remember, when your body suffers, sin loses its power, and you won't be spending the rest of your life chasing after evil desires, but will be anxious to do the will of God."

This reminds me of James 4:7 "Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

This is a great message with hope for people like me, who are tired of dealing with temptation. Perhaps it's been annoying me for so long because I resist and then give in, I resist and then give in. I haven't really allowed myself to continuously suffer through the tempation without giving in. I don't have to spend the rest of my life chasing after junk food and enduring junk food cravings. I do have to suffer through it steadily for awhile (how long, I don't know), but I do know that if I allow myself to suffer through and just stop giving in to the temptation to overindulge, this sin of appetite (of coveting sugar and junk food) will eventually lose its power. I will be anxious to do the will of God for my health. I will look forward to eating the good, healthy food that God has provided. I'll do His will and He will be able to bless me with the good health He wants to bless me with!

So, the question is: Am I really ready to suffer through it? Like personal trainers, I believe Peter and James will be good coaches through this training period.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?